I’ve finally taken some better photos of the gaming table I built about 12 months ago. I first posted photos on Twitter and had some great feedback, so I’ve included some more details below.
A little about the table itself. A long time ago we managed to get our hands on four refurbished oak and leather chairs in a sale. But because we could never afford to buy an oak table, my father-in-law kindly offered to make us one in pine, so that we could stain it to match. It’s pretty convincing! You really have to look hard to notice.
Unfortunately, I don’t have any “making of” photos, but I’ll briefly describe the process;
– First, I took a thin sheet of MDF board (6mm x 2440mm x 1220mm).
– I then cut and joined a frame around it with glass beading (12mm x 22mm).
– At this point I cut holes in each corner of the board, and hammered/glued in four brass compression fitting nuts.
– The brass frame is made up of (10mm) brass tubes and brass compression elbow joints. These are attached to a small length of pine (8mm x 75mm x 510mm) using brass P clips.
I based the height of the lighting system so that it stands just above the tallest KD:M miniature!
– Also attached to this centre piece was the LED strip, which is stuck with adhesive. I managed to loop the light strip three times underneath, and then thread the wiring down the brass tubing and exit through a groove in the MDF board.
– For players and areas to place rule books, I created several modular pine boards (215mm x 420mm). These are made up of several pieces of wood, so that they hook over the glass bead and won’t move.
– Then for sanding and staining. I used a medium oak to match the table and chairs, and plenty of coats of Danish Oil until the shade was similar.
– Finally, the hardest bit of all, sticking down the baize. With lots of help from Violet, we decided to cut the cloth to right size first, then spray the board with carpet glue and carefully push it down.
All of the materials were bought cheaply from a local builders merchant and online via eBay and Amazon.
To allow us to store this all away, I mounted a board underneath the table.
This created a space to hide away the overlay and all of it’s components.
The ambience in the room is just what I was looking for.
Recent additions include wooden dice bowls, recycled from our wedding, surrounded by other memorabilia from our day.
I really needed a better place to display the miniatures close by when playing. This decently-priced, new cabinet from Argos served the purpose perfectly.